Skip to main content

Reversing Democracy

It took thousands of years to get democracy as a method to elect the government. Out of 100 odd countries where democracy exists in some form or another, very few countries succeeded in constitutionally implementing democratic moralities.

Credit: The Economists | 2017


After Europe and USA, India is the only country in Asia where the federal system of parliamentarian government rules the country which gets elected by a greater sense of democratic values in the election methods. The idea of equal representation of every class, caste, creed, culture, and community into the parliament of India has been best served constitutionally. This is not so perfectly formed even in the USA. 

We must thank our forefathers who have devoted so much time and hard works to make the constitution which ensures freedom for every one of us. Not even the USA had the right to vote for women until 1981. India had implemented the law of universal adult franchise since the very first general election in India in the year 1952. 

Our first general election was not easy, while we were copying the electoral process from the west. Our social fabric was not as much aware as Europe was. We had no electors record or voter lists back then. We had no roads, bridges, and maps to ensure everyone’s participation in the election. Even we had no mechanism to figure if the person has voted or not voted or if have voted twice. Our first chief election commissioner Shri Sukumar Sen had ideated the indelible blue ink to mark the finger of the voter. Custody, safety, security and surety of ballot box was another major challenge in a country where all national highways were under the watch of regional bandits or dacoits.

Today, after 67 years of our first election, India is facing its biggest challenge. This is the reason I am talking about democracy today because tomorrow we may not have any elections in India ever after 2019. We all are murdering our democracy, we are tearing apart our constitution. We are going back to tyrannical slavery… this may be the last time someone is able to write an article about the freedom we so relinquished.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightwalker!

The Nightwalker  …And the Starving Race     T he Nightw alker is the code name of a self proclaimed private detective . A young man of decent height and health, talented, college dropout, suspicious in his behavior, abandoned from normal society . He has decided to leave this world the way it is to design one of his own. He has simulated a world for him self where everything happens the way he wants (for at least till now) . He remains jobless for most of the time because not many pe ople hire Detectives and if few hires , they opt for the famous credible agencies . These agencies are audited and supervised. Nightwalker refused to work with any such agencies because he had only one thrilling reason to opt this profession i.e. live unidentified . Many agencies hire him but on his terms i.e. don’t try to find who he is . His commitment to his professions helps him mak e decent money . It is an achievement of his detective attributes that while he is r...

My World View

"My vision is that everyone irrespective of their history must be allowed to participate in making this world a better place"  - Jitendra Rajaram  Hopeful! Everyone can be hopeful, no one must die hopeless Economy is a political arrangement of power. It is not about money. Money is a tool to exercise the power one holds.    Politics is a continuous struggle of reshuffling the power arrangement among various power fringes. These fringes are class, caste, community, ethnicity, skin colour, gender, age, and family identities. Macroscopically, this struggle is homogeneous, everyone is fighting with everyone else. Microscopically however, one can observe patterns. The patter is a binary, a war between “Handful powerful elites” and “Million weak, poor and discarded bands of people”. Whoever is ruling, has actually achieved a temporary state of equilibrium. This equilibrium is the sum of positive and negative powers like religion, wealth, societies, people...
Oh Rose...! Writing poems in English by being Deshi by heart is a challenge. Adding to it I am not trained in poem writing in any language. I don't know the technicalities of writing poems but I love this. I am not eligible to present this to you but since your critiques will shape my inks, I invite your kind attention to my stupid creation" Thanks! JV  -------------------------------------------------------------   "I hate you, And you must know why!  It is true, that I am not you, And this I will never try! But hating you is all I should, Not because we both are with him here, But because we both were blossomed elsewhere!! "N ot I hated you when he proposed you Or when his hands were shivering to hold But when I was laid in market to get cunningly sold Yes, I hate you, Not because I you’re priceless or I am not But because you are earned while I am bought "M y fragrance will never fade, It’s one more reason to hate. It is not l...